Monday, September 21, 2009

I MISS harvest...I KNOW...CRAZY!!!

Mom, I hope you were sitting down when you read that title. I KNOW, me April Telford Eddy, your daughter, misses harvest! But I really do. I just finished reading my sister in law, Mijken's, blog (Ryan's wife) and saw these pictures of the first few days of potato harvest and I just started to cry. I really miss Idaho and those crazy harvest days. It was always so much work. Hours and hours and hours of WORK. Those 20 hour days..day after day after day. My mom tried so hard to make it an enjoyable time. I can remember riding in a beet truck with my mom when I was little and singing songs with her. Then I can remember driving potato and beet trucks when i got older. All that was okay. The part I just absolutely detested was picking clods at the tables. I can still see that belt moving in front of me and it makes me want to puke just thinking about it. And when I got older, oh how I complained and made life even more miserable for everyone and here I am now, crying because I miss it. Funny, now I wish I could share harvest with my own kids. I'd love to drive them around and then as they get older have them work on the farm. Strange thing is we started working on the farm EARLY. I think I was about 9 when I drove a tractor by myself for the first time. Brooke is 8 right now. That blows my mind!

Brooke and I made a deal the other day that if she can get her scorpion in her full extension then cradle down (a hard cheer stunt that she is flying from) before we go to Idaho for my nieces blessing, I will teach her how to drive a car on Papa's farm. She is so excited and is working so hard to get it!

Well here's the pictures I copied from Mijken's blog that made me just cry!




2 comments:

  1. The pictures make me cry too April.....but for a different reason than yours!! Ashley has been learning to drive this summer also, she drove the pickup while uncle Bobby unloaded hay off the back and begs to drive anytime we are in the car, they are growing up too fast!! I cant wait for you guys to come, I kinda forgot about that, yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories to have... and even more fun to know that you miss it!

    ReplyDelete